21 July 2013

Security: moving to higher levels of abstraction

Ars Technica | Use of Tor and e-mail crypto could increase chances that NSA keeps your data

Prediction: at some point non-steganographic encryption will be a small niche.

There will be a need not only for strong security to hide our secrets, but for people to be able to hide how hard they are trying to hide their secrets.



On second thought, I need to make that prediction more specific.

Personal communications will increasingly be steganographic in nature. There will still be huge needs for traditional crypto. It's no secret, for instance, that an ATM needs to communicate with the bank's transaction processing computers. So there's no point in hiding the fact that they're sending messages to each other. But I might very much wish to conceal not only the content of a blog posts I write, but also what blogs I am posting that content to, and how much effort I am putting into maintaining that concealment.



Installing BitMessage is on my task list for this week. As of yet I don't actually know anyone else on the BitMessage network, so I have no one to send messages to. But if I ever did I could do so quite securely.

From the limited amount I've learned of BitMessage, it has all of the cryptographic advantages of BitCoin without its one big drawback. (Which is that the State doesn't need to put pressure on the BitCoin network itself if it can successfully shut off the flow of other currencies into and out of BitCoins. Which is seems able and willing to do.) If you haven't heard of it, here are two articles:
  1. Businessweek | Max Raskin | Bitmessage's NSA-Proof E-Mail
  2. ReadWrite | Matt Asay | Bitmessage: Choice Of A Rightly Paranoid Generation

No comments:

Post a Comment