20 January 2013

The Fount of AI

Edge.org | Bruce Sterling | The Singularity: There's No There There

A Singularity has no business model, no major power group in our society is interested in provoking one, nobody who matters sees any reason to create one, there's no there there.
I'm also a big Singularity-skeptic, but I wanted to pass on an interesting observation I heard at a talk last year.

If anyone has both the motivation and means to give us Strong AI (a Singularity pre-req), it's either the folks in computational finance or marketing. When I first heard that I thought it was bonkers, but the more I've thought about it the more right I think it is. Chew on it for a while.

PS I'll bet good money that if we ever get Strong AI/AGI it won't be from the defense sector.

No comments:

Post a Comment