23 March 2012

In which I assert that some stuff is cool

Ars Technica | Ryan Paul | Pirate Bay plans to build aerial server drones with $35 Linux computer

Fact: taking a regular thing and making it into a flying thing is cool.

Let's ignore the moral aspects of piracy for a moment. We can all agree this is awesome, right? File servers that fly? How tomorrow is that? This is the future I've been waiting for. Next I want some unmanned dirigible ISPs and drone quadrotor wifi hotspots.

PS No, I don't care if this is a joke or empty bluster. It's cool.


Musical Tesla Coils | Steve Caton & Eric Goodchild | House of the Rising Sun



I don't have to explain why this is the jams, do I?

(Via KPC)


I Can Has Cheezburger | Otters Who Look Like Benedict Cumberbatch


What's that? You haven't seen Sherlock? Well whose fault is that?

Also: semi-aquatic mammals are cooler than they are given credit for.


∞ Web Urbanist | Steph | Paper Architecture: Intricate 3D Sculptures by Ingrid Siliakus


Things also become cooler when they are made out of paper.


Bng Bng | Cory Doctorow | Scientific calculator in Minecraft



Also cool — making computing machines out of things that shouldn't be computing machines. I'd like to think Turing would be happy with this.

Side note: there is a petition to get Turing on English ten pound note. I would like to see that happen. If you like in the UK please sign this. I really appreciate how British notes often have scientists, engineers and inventors on them. Frankly, I appreciate that they have non-politicians on them.


io9 | Robert Gonzalez | These carefully crafted photo-sculptures look like portals to another world


Simple but very clever. Let's have more novel combinations of photography and sculpture, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment