06 February 2012

Huzzah

I feel like I spend a lot of time around here calling out things I don't like, so let me take a moment and list some things I've been enjoying recently. This seems like a healthy way to put the disappointment of the Patriots' loss behind me and start the week.
  • Downton Abbey.
    You know that feeling you get when you finish a really good book and you're disappointed that there's no more left to enjoy? Mrs SB7 and I tore through both seasons of this in about a week, and now I have that feeling. And I don't typically care for costume dramas very much.
  • "One Cello X 16," by Zoe Keating.
    Great music to work to: lots of energy, but without distracting lyrics.
  • Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day
  • As of this morning, having paid down all of our credit card balance. This one feels especially good.
  • Dueling Michael Caines by Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan from The Trip
  • High West Distillery's Double Rye, a blend of peppery 2-year-old and silky 16-year-old. Oh, and their Bourye, a blend of sweet bourbon and fiesty rye. These are some of the most complex spirits I've tasted not made in Scotland, and the theory behind them is so simple. Is there anyone else out there doing something like this? Their barrel-aged Manhattan is aso delicious. It sounds crazy, but try it before judging.
Now: time to do some Science!


PS Apropos of nothing, you know what I'd like to see for a Super Bowl half-time show? I'd like some straight-ahead rock band like the Black Keys to wheel a drumkit out to midfield, bang out two songs, and walk off. No dancers, no light show, no special guest appearances, no theatrics. Go 100% minimalist. Be over-the-top with the refusal to attempt to be over-the-top.

No comments:

Post a Comment