18 November 2011

State of the Blogger

I haven't felt much like blogging recently. I haven't even been much in the mood to read blogs recently.

I completed a big and significant step in my grad studies a couple of weeks ago, then had to prep for a conference, and now am trying to get a manuscript together for a journal submission before Christmas. I had been hard charging the month before that milestone, and once I hit it the wind left my sales.

Between all of that, which was preceded by another conference presentation (a conference hosted by the people who sign my paychecks, no less), writing my dissertation proposal, reviewing three dozen papers for my reading list, and creating and practicing the associated talk, I've had it up to my eyeballs with communicating about science. All I've done for the last quarter is communicate. No actual Science has been done. As a result I've got something approaching writer's block, except it's more like writer's disgust.

I'm going to try and get back in the swing of blogging, just to get me pounding a keyboard. Hopefully getting some ideas smoothly from mind to screen and that small-but-not-insignificant satisfaction from pressing "publish post" on something I wrote will spark some motivation back into me.

Onward!

PS I know you all don't actually care about this stuff. But these thoughts are Step 0 in my plan to write something, anything, in order to get the wheels turning. So there.

5 comments:

  1. I can totally relate. My blogging has been light lately too. When my interests and/or time commitments shift to other things, I just don't have the bandwidth to do more than post links to others' blog posts. It's been quite a while since I was able to put together a decent essay-type blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in exactly the same boat. Take it easy, man: the blogosphere won't go anywhere while you take your hiatus, and when you come back, you'll still be in our RSS readers as well as in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "PS I know you all don't actually care about this stuff."

    Not true. It's encouraging reading about someone else's struggles to successfully produce something. Keep pushing on.

    I didn't know Travis was in Washington D.C.:

    http://arewelumberjacks.blogspot.com/2011/11/give-til-it-hurts.html

    ReplyDelete