28 July 2011

Lebowski Studies

Miller-McCune | Tom Jacobs | Scholars and The Big Lebowski: Deconstructing The Dude

Although its political message is far from overt, The Big Lebowski is a highly subversive film. At least, that’s what Paul “Pablo” Martin of Grossmont College and Valerie Renegar of San Diego State University argue in a 2007 article in the journal Communication Studies. Referencing the work of Russian philosopher Mikhail Bakhtin, they call the film an example of “carnivalesque humor,” a genre that encourages audiences to “reflect on, and ultimately reject, their fears of power, law and the sacred.”
I knew I liked this for a reason.

The Year's Work in Lebowski Studies seems like a good way to blow $10.  I thought I was aware of all the books which take The Big Lebowski too seriously, but this one is new to me.

I meant this post to be a break from all the fiscal hullabaloo, but then I read this line:
In contrast, his best friend Walter, played by John Goodman, has “a line-in-the-sand mentality of picking fights over the broaching of more or less arbitrary boundaries and working himself up into apoplexy simply to prove his intransigence.”
Apoplectic fits as demonstration of intransigence? Sounds like debt limit negotiations to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment