22 July 2011

Bad Decisions

I think people are capable of awe-inspiring heights of achievement.  But I also think that most people, most of the time, are pretty mediocre.

In general, I don't trust people to make good decisions, and I think that underlies a lot of my political philosophy.

But there are two very, very different directions you can go from this starting point.

One is to conclude that because people are bad at making decisions we should make decisions for them.  Either for my own good, our collective societal good, or for these bad decision makers' own good, other, smarter people should decide for them.

The other is to conclude that because other people are bad at making decisions, other people shouldn't be making decisions for me.  And by extension we shouldn't be making decisions for them.

I find the second much more palatable, not to mention humble.  But the former is much more popular, and obviously they think my approach is wrong.  What causes people to reach opposite conclusions from the same premise?

No comments:

Post a Comment