10 June 2011

New York City Marathon

I'm going to have to read more Idle Words stuff. That NASA article I just posted about was great, and this one about the NYC marathon is equally good.
To a first approximation, the NYC Marathon is all about standing in line. There's the line to pick up a race number, the line for the chemical toilets, the line to get out of Central Park. The only unusual thing is that, for four or five hours in the middle, the line moves really quickly.
As a former high school lineman, I am prohibited from liking long distance running.  For reasons of both natural inclination and advice of medical professionals, I refrain from participation in any such foolish endeavor as running. However, I see no reason not to read about running. And this is as fine a piece to read as any is likely to be.

2 comments:

  1. "As a former high school lineman, I am prohibited from liking long distance running. For reasons of both natural inclination and advice of medical professionals, I refrain from participation in any such foolish endeavor as running."

    LOL! I couldn't agree more! I practically have to wave my bad knee* around to prevent my friends and in-laws from proselytizing for the wonders of marathon running. Two of them even have running-focused blogs. Unfortunately, unlike you, I find reading on the subject dull in the extreme. What is it that you find interesting?

    *The bad knee originates from tearing two ligaments in high school football practice. Not the most common injury for an offensive lineman, but apparently a linebacker thought my knee was a good thing to dive at during practice. Moron's lucky the coaches never let me see the video close enough to find out who it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't enjoy reading about it as a general rule, but I thought this piece was quite enjoyable.

    "I practically have to wave my bad knee* around to prevent my friends and in-laws from proselytizing for the wonders of marathon running"

    Ha! I've got the bad knees too. Mostly meniscus problems though, not ligaments. Unfortunately it's mostly skiing I have to keep turning down, and that looks way more fun than marathoning.

    ReplyDelete