15 June 2011

"Apple's Retail Secrets Spilled"

Business Insider | Jay Yarrow | Apple's Retail Secrets Spilled: Don't Correct The Customers, Abide By The A.P.P.L.E. Code

Employees are not supposed to sell products, just help customers. A quote from the training manual: 'Your job is to understand all of your customers' needs—some of which they may not even realize they have.'
I understand why they do this. I don't like being sold to. I like to be left alone to shop, and I'll let a retailer know if I need help.

But as a customer, Apple's policy actually infuriates me. They take "don't sell products" philosophy way too far. It's an actual hassle to try and spend money in an Apple store. Every time I've gone in to buy something I end up standing around waiting, one time for 20 minutes, until someone would let me give them money for a product on their shelf. And because they're too chic to have something as bourgeois as a cash register, I just stand there with a product in my hand, wandering around, asking random employees to please ring me up so I can be on my way. I've never been in another retail outlet that makes me pester them to let me pay. It shouldn't take longer to pay than it does to pick out what you need from the shelf.

2 comments:

  1. "asking random employees to please ring me up so I can be on my way."

    What? Are they too busy ignoring customers, or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, they mostly seemed to be dealing with customers, but not doing anything so crass as engaging in commerce with them. Rather they were just demonstrating things. One time everyone kept telling me is was someone else's job to ring people up. This person just expedited tech support visits, this person was just a greeter, this person only dealt with people who came in for training, ... It took about ten minutes to track someone down who could take my credit card.

    ReplyDelete