29 September 2010

anti-anti-science

dispatches from TJICistan | tjic | science vs. law
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massach…

Just two days before a texting-while-driving ban takes effect in Massachusetts, a new study being released today says that similar bans in other states have not reduced automobile accidents.
This will have no effect on our legislature, of course.

For all that Dems like to deride Reps as being anti-science, neither one of them really lets science influence their policy.
I don't have anything to add to this, but I felt compelled to repost it since I like being I scientist, and I despise both the Red Team and the Blue Team, so it always grinds my gears to be told that one of those teams is "the party of science" or "reality-based" or whatever. They both selectively ignore whatever makes their job easier.

1 comment:

  1. I fully agree with this, and after having read Traffic by Tom Vanderbilt I was ready for this specific result to come down the pike.

    But isn't at least very slightly different that Team Red is denying several decades of empirical environmental science with potentially catastrophic repercussions and Team Blue is ignoring slightly less than a handful of actuarial charts with a potential harm of a few thousand deaths each year?

    I'm not trying to be snarky here; I've just barely dipped my toes into statistics, regressions and econometrics. Not nearly enough to comment with anything resembling authority.

    ReplyDelete