13 May 2010

Iron Man 2

Threat Quality Press | Braak | Chris versus the Movies: A Case for Iron Man 2

I was not bored the whole time, because [Iron Man 2] has things that I like: quirky characters, humor, and flying robot battles. Those things are just there, and if you don’t like those things, then don’t bother reading any further, because I don’t think I can defend Iron Man 2 to you.

(Maybe you think the part where he creates a new element in his basement is ridiculous pseudo-science. Well, look, that’s correct, but whether you appreciate it or not depends on how you say it. If you say, “What? Did he just build a supercollider in his basement?” then you’ll probably think it’s crazy. If you say it like, “What!?!?!? Did he just build a SUPERCOLLIDER in his BASEMENT?” then you’ll probably think it’s crazy AWESOME.)
You know what bugged me about that scene?

(1) There's no need to involve preposterously ridiculous psuedo-science when regularly ridiculous pseudo-science would have done just as well. If they had replaced "Tony Stark discovers a new element" with "Tony Strak discovers a new alloy" the whole story would have worked just fine.

(2) His super heated laser beam thing slices right through his flammables locker. Let me repeat that: A flammables locker is cut through with a laser torch. It is in two pieces. Burning. I presume these set dressing people have been near a workshop before and know what the purpose of a flammables locker is. Propping up his home-brew particle accelerator with [name of prop redacted] doesn't bother me at all. That's just winking fun. Torching through a locker specifically designed to hold highly ignitable materials bothers me because it's completely unnecessary.

Okay, enough griping. I enjoyed Iron Man 2. I'm having trouble expressing why I was a little less enthusiastic than I was with the first movie. The best I can come up with was that this one was a little more restrained, a little more "Continuing Adventures of Iron Man" and a little less "Holy Shit It's A Robot Man Who's Also Good With The Ladies And Vomits One Liners KABOOM!" I actually like the balance of action scenes to non-action scenes better in the sequel. The humor was good.  The character work was good.  The fight scenes were good.  I guess I'm a little hesitant because I don't feel like Favreau & Marvel Productions really put the pedal to the floor on this one because they were holding back a little for Avengers.  I'm looking forward to revisiting this when (if?) they pull of the whole Avengers cycle and seeing how it works then.

Anyway, go read Braak's review. I think he's got a good handle on it, and he knows story.

1 comment:

  1. (1) Yeah, okay, that actually bothered me a little, too. Also when he said things like, "I've tried every possible element in every possible combination." And it's like, "Guys: what you're saying doesn't really make any sense, one way or the other--so, couldn't you at least make it SOUND like science?"

    ReplyDelete