28 April 2010

Oh noes, advertising!


Planetary Folklore: Billbored

This anti-advertising stuff is so worn out. "Woe is me, ads present beauty I can never attain myself and I am driven into fits of consumerist binging."  I've been hearing that Tyler Durden song and dance since I was seeing Lucky Charms ads between episodes of Duck Tales.

The rant in this "billbored" in particular is so specious.
The spectacle of advertising creates images of false beauty so suave and so impossible to attain that you will hurt inside and never even know where the hurt comes from, and in all pictures now the famous people have already begun to look lost and lonely
As if I don't go to the art museum and hurt inside from the unattainable beauty of both the works on its walls and the beautiful things represented in them.

As if I don't walk into the library and ache at the desire to just spend all day everyday enjoying the gems on its shelves.

What does any of that have to do with marketing?  We all want things we can't have and marketing has nothing to do with 99% most of it.

How non-introspective do you have to be to see pictures of things you like but can't afford and not realize that's where your longing for stuff comes from?

All the pictures of famous people depict them as lost and lonely?  All of them?  Because I'm going down the "style" folder of my feed reader* and I'm not seeing much if any lost or lonely.  I'm seeing plenty of bemused.  Some exasperated.  A fair share of wry.  Some demure (mostly from the ladies).  Various sorts of I'm trying really hard to make it look like I'm not trying at all to look like I'm trying to look a certain way in this picture.  I'm not seeing any lonely or lost though.

(* Yes, I have one of those.  Get over it, people who know me in real life and find this amusing.)

Oh, and let the record reflect that this Billbored project claims to be a reaction to the billboards put up for the upcoming British election.  Has anyone ever seen a campaign sign and then decided it was an opportune time to rant about spectacles of impossible beauty?  It would be a better world if campagin materials reasonably provoked that reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment