12 March 2010

Two of my favorite things

I take a lot of flack (okay, a very small amount of flack) because brownies are my favorite dessert.  Sure, I'm really enjoying the Samoa girl scout cookies that got dropped off here last week, and I love a slice of pie, especially at the right old-school road-side dinner.  But brownies are numero uno, so much so that I have Birthday Brownies instead of birthday cake.

I also have been known to enjoy a beer or two in my day.  So...  BEAMISH BROWNIES! Huzzah to Hannah at KegWorks for posting this recipe in time for St Patrick's Day.

Obviously Guinness gets all the glory as far as Irish stouts go, but Beamish is pretty fine stuff. I actually discovered it in a bar in Sorrento, or all places. 

Unfortunately Heineken, who bought Beamish in 2008, appears to have shut down operations months later.  Last I heard they are looking for a buyer.  [Correction:  Heineken shut down the historic Beamish brewery, which they are trying to sell.  Production of Beamish continues at their own facility in Cork, though it appears they are not currently exporting any of the product.]

Beamish Stout Brownies

  • 1 c flour
  • ¾ c unsweetened cocoa powder
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 6 tbsp butter, room temperature
  • 8 oz dark bittersweet chocolate, chopped well
  • 1 c milk chocolate chips
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 c brown sugar
  • 10 oz Beamish Irish Stout, room temperature
  • 1 c toffee bits
  • Powdered sugar, for dusting

Preheat oven to 375° Butter a 9×13" baking pan and set aside.

In a bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder and salt until combined well. Set aside.

In a double boiler or your microwave, melt butter, bittersweet chocolate and chocolate chips, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set aside.

In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in melted chocolate mixture and beat until smooth. Add in flour mixture, mixing well. Whisk in Beamish, then drop toffee bits into the batter, and gently fold.

Pour into baking pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool brownies to room temperature and dust with powdered sugar before serving.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you dig my recipe. As far as I know, Murphy's Irish Stout actually bought out Beamish and is brewing the same recipe still. We should be in good shape!

    ReplyDelete