30 March 2010

Teal and Orange

A really interesting post for moviegoers about how more and more films are color "corrected" to orangify skin tones, and push more of the backgrounds into complementary teal blue hues:
Into the Abyss | Todd Miro | Teal and Orange - Hollywood, Please Stop the Madness

Those of you who watch a lot of Hollywood movies may have noticed a certain trend that has consumed the industry in the last few years. It is one of the most insidious and heinous practices that has ever overwhelmed the industry. Am I talking about the lack of good scripts? Do I speak of the dependency of a few mega-blockbuster hits to save the studios each year, or of the endless sequels and television retreads? No, I am talking about something much more dangerous, much deadlier to the health of cinema.

I speak of course, of THE COLOR GRADING VIRUS THAT IS TEAL & ORANGE!!!


Miro also mentions a demo of how color correction is done. I haven't gotten to watch it yet, but I'm eager to since the guy doing the tutorial, Stu Maschwitz, was the visual effects superviser on Sin City. Whatever you think of the movie, it had a great look. Perhaps more impressively he was a senior member of the effects team on Red Cliff, which is just so, so gorgeous looking.  It's not quite Hero, but it's close.

As a side note, what do people find so "heinous" about re-makes and blockbusters and sequels and licensed properties?  I'm no more excited about the prospect of seeing a big budget A-Team movie this summer as Miro probably is, but I don't really mind that it exists.  If I don't see it, it won't impact my life. Just let it be.

I find it interesting that people aren't satisfied not consuming cultural output that doesn't interest them.  They actively wish it never existed in the first place.  Personally I'm happy that studios can count on a couple of tent-pole films to rake in profits every summer.  That frees them up to take a couple of fliers on some low budget* stuff as well that I will probably like more.


* relatively speaking

PS I'm also guilty of occasionally wishing that the culture that doesn't fit my tastes didn't exist.  But I'm not proud of that.

PPS I'm reading too much into that into paragraph of Miro's.  I don't mean to single him out, this was just a convenient time to bring up this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment