18 March 2010

LaTeX!

Marginal Revolution | Tyler Cowen | Good sentences
"We originally wrote this article in Word, but then we converted it to Latex to make it look more like science."
The link is here [PDF]. It is the best analysis of zombification I have seen to date. For the pointer I thank John Chilton.
LaTeX is indeed The Look of Science. The learning curve is pretty painful, but man is it ever worth it.

I will never really trust reports I read that were prepped with Word, or fully embrace co-authors who compose their papers in Word. (I'm looking at you, psychologists and medical types.)  That's a path of weakness.

To a lesser extent I still look down my nose on people whose charts are prepared in Excel.  It's ever so slightly harder to take those seriously.

Okay, that's enough geeky word processing snobbery for me today. Seriously, read that zombie paper though. I started laughing when I read the co-author and kept right on going.

No comments:

Post a Comment