08 February 2010

"I will be as harsh as truth."

Just like the last time I showed no bereavement at the death of an old, rich, powerful politician who made a career out of self-aggrandizing corruption, I have been called out for a lack of lamentation.  This time it was by no less of an august source than a Village Voice blog, who erroneously lumped me in with "Rightbloggers."

(Thanks for noticing I exist, but politics is not one-dimensional.  Do not assume that just because I dislike John Murtha I must be conservative.  As if I would be shedding tears if, I dunno, Orrin Hatch kicked it.  The name of the blog is "Exploring the Right Wing Blogosphere," but if I'm being lumped in there then I guess "Right Wing" means "whoever doesn't agree with me.")

Look, I don't care about John Murtha.  I think he was a pox on democracy.  I didn't want him dead, but I'm also not going to pretend to be sitting here rending my garments.  I'm not about to venerate the dead for dying.  That's something we're all bound to do eventually, not a praiseworthy accomplishment.

I don't buy into this nil nissi bonum stuff either.  If you had opinion X about subject Y, and Y dies, what effect does that have on X?  Unless the death itself is somehow evidence you were wrong about X then you should still believe you were right, in which case why be silenced?
Truth and manliness are two qualities that will carry you through this world much better than policy, or tact, or expediency, or any other word that was ever devised to conceal or mystify a deviation from a straight line.
— R.E. Lee
Thousands of other Americans died today. Thousands of other people who did more to contribute to our society, and for far less recognition or reward, than Robert Murtha. They will all go unnoticed as the rich and powerful and well-connected hang their heads and talk about how much they value John Murtha's commitment to public service, etc.

Screw that noise.  Here are the last several obits from my local paper.  If you're looking to lament someone's passing tonight, look no further.

1 comment:

  1. Not rending any garments over here about Murtha either but I doubt anybody scouring Rightbloggers will note the absence of my lack of lamentations.

    ReplyDelete