20 January 2010

Wheels in motion for Walking Dead TV show

iFanboy | Conor Kilpatrick | AMC Greenlights Walking Dead Pilot

As you may or may not already know, AMC has officially greenlit a pilot for Walking Dead.

What does that mean? Well it means that Frank Darabont has been given the go ahead to shoot and deliver a pilot episode to AMC for series consideration. Does it mean we will definitely get a Walking Dead series from the network that brings us two of the best dramas on TV -- Mad Men and Breaking Bad? No, it doesn't. All it means at this point is that they are going to make a pilot and if it doesn't get picked up for series we might not even ever see it. So let's cross our fingers.
Huzzah! Walking Dead is a great series, as I have mentioned several times here. Most recently when I advised you to read it instead of watching The Road, I believe.

By the way, Breaking Bad may be the most under-rated show on television right now. I'd put it toe-to-toe with Mad Men any day, and I don't know of a single person who watches it.

4 comments:

  1. I watch Breaking Bad. Awesome stuff.

    Can't wait for Walking Dead - I read the comic religiously ... and so should everyone!

    My company, HeavyInk.com, sells it:

    http://heavyink.com/title/355-Walking-Dead

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get my modest amount of comics from libraries or by way of Amazon gift certificates, but I did just make my very first HeavyInk order -- an Atomic Robo shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watch Breaking Bad as well, great television, no doubt. I didn't care for the first Walking Dead though. I found the characters stiff and unforgivably one-dimensional. And the author's belief that we would so quickly fall into primitive gender modes is just, I don't know, gutless and and sophomoric? It doesn't take a man's naturally more muscular physique to fire a pistol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they flesh out pretty nicely later on. Michone, a woman who doesn't show up for a couple of volumes if I remember correctly, is the biggest bad-ass of the group as far as I'm concerned. There's also a decently nuanced explanation of why the two women shack up with Dale in the RV which moves beyond established gender roles.

    I wouldn't say that Kirkman thinks that the given gender roles are how the event would actually play out. Rather, he is writing some characters who are reverting to established norms as a coping mechanism, as a way of clinging to something familiar and safe after the world is turned upside down.

    ReplyDelete