29 January 2010

The Third & The Seventh

This has been making the rounds for a couple of weeks now, but I never got around to posting it. The entire thing is computer generated, but that's not the impressive thing. The impressive thing is that the entire thing, excepting some of the score, was created by one man, Alex Roman. I don't even need to say how beautiful it is.

I think this may be why the CGI in Avatar, while fantastic, didn't viscerally impress me much. Photorealism is very nearly a solved problem in graphics, especially when you have the resources of WETA.

I feel like people seeking more-and-more photoreal CGI are like 19th century artists seeking more and more realism in their painting after the invention of photography. I'd like to see directors and visual effects supervisors turn to a more painterly and expressive mode for the CGI in their films soon. With people like Alex Roman breathing down their necks, they better be ready to offer me something more than realism.

Via Planetary Folklore.

NB Roman has kindly posted a torrent for a full-res version of his film.



* Okay, I'm being a little too harsh on Avatar's visual effects. They did a great job, especially in marrying the VFX to live actors. I think I was partially unimpressed because I found the 3D distracting. Still, I want the graphics and digital art communities to stop looking to straight f.64-style photography for inspiration and towards painting and sculpture instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment