20 October 2009

Spike

I knew Spike Jonze directed music videos earlier in his careers, but I didn't know he directed the video for The Beastie Boys' Sabotage. Awesome. Sabotage is the first music video I ever saw, while I was away one summer at baseball camp in Gettysburg. It still may be my favorite video.

Jonze is perhaps the second most famous alumnus of my high school, after stuffed-shirt Senator Mark Pryor, and followed distantly by author Alexandra Robbins and (very distantly) by itinerant NFL long-snapper Ryan Kuehl. (I'll be honest: no one has ever heard of Kuehl, but he's a good dude, and I have a soft spot for centers and long snappers.)

I liked Jonze even more when a recent GQ interview informed me that naps are a critical part of his working process. That's something I can get behind.



The above version of the video has weird lead-in and follow-up material that slathers on another layer of meta and campiness. The song itself begins at 0:33. (The version I wanted to post had embedding disabled. I've asked before and I'll ask again, why would you do that to a video? Cui bono?)

No comments:

Post a Comment