17 September 2009

The Telly

I'm watching Sons of Anarchy on DVD and I thought they did something kind of cool which I never would have noticed had I been watching it on week-to-week broadcast. They ended one episode with two characters riding away as The Black Keys' "Keep Me" played, and they started up the next episode, the same two characters still riding, more or less right where they left off in the middle of "Keep Me." I thought this was pretty neat editing, made all the much more awesome because "Keep Me" is one of my favorite songs by one of my favorite contemporary bands. I continue to maintain that DVD/DVR/BitTorrent is the best way to enjoy modern television.



Sons of Anarchy is highly recommended, though be warned I'm only halfway through the first season so far, so I suppose that's provisional. I love Ron Perlman,* I love outlaws (cf Tom Robbins' distinction between outlaws and criminals**), I love the soundtrack, I love Charlie Hunnam (from Green Street Hooligans, among others), and I think the Hamlet & Macbeth themes are kind of interesting.

In other TV news, The Office and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia are both starting up their seasons tonight. Everyone more or less knows about The Office, but I'm regularly surprised how many people have never seen Always Sunny. It's a preposterously under-rated show, so I feel it's my blogo-duty to evangelize it right now.

Both Sons of Anarchy and Always Sunny are on FX (as is Rescue Me, whose early seasons were great and whose more recent seasons have fallen off but are still good). I was thinking about my favorite current shows recently, and I was shocked how few are on the Big Four broadcast networks. With AMC and FX putting out such good stuff, basic cable is outperforming both broadcast and HBO/Showtime/etc.

* Who's rumored to be in The Hobbit. Excellent. Playing who, though? He's got the voice for a dwarf, but they would have to do some serious trickery to get him down to dwarf size. Although I suppose John Rhys-Davies is 6 feet easy, so it's nothing new.

** Here's a hint: "If you're honest, you sooner or later have to confront your values. Then you're forced to separate what is right from what is merely legal. This puts you metaphysically on the run. America is full of metaphysical outlaws." — Still Life with Woodpecker. Not that there's anything metaphysical about the outlawry in Sons of Anarchy, but it's a great quote.

2 comments:

  1. Who's rumored to be in The Hobbit. Excellent. Playing who, though?

    Bard the Bowman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good, thanks. I guess I pictured Bard a bit younger, but I'll take it.

    ReplyDelete