17 July 2009

NASA again

dispatches from TJICistan | one way to save 23 cents

http://www.boston.com/news/science/artic…

WASHINGTON—NASA could put a man on the moon but didn’t have the sense to keep the original video of the live TV transmission.

In an embarrassing acknowledgment, the space agency said Thursday that it must have erased the Apollo 11 moon footage years ago so that it could reuse the videotape.

I’ve got an idea - let’s put government employees in charge of healthcare!

Nafzger said a huge search that began three years ago for the old moon tapes led to the “inescapable conclusion” that 45 tapes of Apollo 11 video were erased and reused. His report on that will come out in a few weeks.

The original videos beamed to Earth were stored on giant reels of tape that each contained 15 minutes of video, along with other data from the moon. In the 1970s and ’80s, NASA had a shortage of the tapes, so it erased about 200,000 of them and reused them.

45 out of 45 copies were all taped over.

I want to respond to some comments I've gotten about my recent Mars post, and expand what has turned into a recent spate of space-related posts (amateur rocketry, scuttling the ISS). Unfortunately I'm out of town doing some family type things with Special Lady Friend, so I'm not confident in the internet connection or my amount of free time. In lieu of that I bring this sterling example of NASA's wisdom, thrift, and efficiency. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment